Wednesday, 21 November 2018

UGANDA: Of Joseph Kony's Brig. Ongwen and Museveni's Brig. Elwelu


OF JOSEPH KONY'S BRIG. ONGWEN AND MUSEVENI'S BRIG. PETER ELWELU

Dominic Ongwen is said to have been abducted by LRA, aged 10, as he walked to school in northern Uganda.  He rose to become a top commander in the LRA.  He was one of the top LRA commandera accused of crimes against humanity whereby the ICC issued an arrest warrant in 2005.  The US offered $5m (£3.3m) reward for information leading to his arrest in 2013.  In 2015 he was captured in the CAR and is facing prosecution before the ICC in the Hague.  His Commander In-chief, Joseph Kony is still at large but his rebel LRA is no longer active in Uganda.

Museveni's Brig. Peter Elwelu joined the Museveni Army in 1987 and has grown through the ranks.  As the western region bases 2nd Division Commander, in November 2016 he lead the assault on innocent people in Kasese and gruesomely killed hundreds including women and children. He inhumanely took captive more hundreds who are still detained without trial as others continue to die owing to the injuries they sustained during hostage taking.

During the February 2016 sham general elections the people of Kasese had vehemently  rejected Museveni and instead overwhelmingly voted for the opposition at all levels of the polls.  Because of Kasese's strategic geographic location at the border with eastern DRC, Museveni feared that Kasese could become the rear base of an armed opposition.  As a preemptive measure, he moved to create the usual situation of fear among locals.  He accused the traditional leader (King) of the local Bakonjo tribe of harboring rebellious intentions.

With orders through his son, Gen. Muhoozi who is the commander of the elite Special Forces Command (SFC), Brig. Elwelu who was the commander on the ground carried out the gruesome massacres.  The innocent souls who were not instantly killed inside the palace were rounded up, stripped naked, tied hands behind their backs, shot dead and some of the bodies set on fire (see attached picture).  Women captives who survived being instantly killed were stripped naked (see picture) while the men were subjected to severe painful episodes that they wished they had been instantly killed.  The then army chief, Gen. Katumba Wamala vehemently disassociated himself from the orders to attack.

The persecution went on long after the climax of the November 2016.  During his December 2016 meeting with local leaders from Kasese, he was told how security agents continued to intimidate and extort money from victims to the tune of one million shillings on grounds that they were on the list of those to be arrested.  For obvious reasons, Museveni did not dig into such a serious allegation but simply ordered for the arrests to stop.  Out of such fear many people feared to come out and claim their loved ones whom the army hastily buried in mass graves.  In his Christmas sermon the Catholic Bishop of Kasese put the figure of orphans and widows at 300 and 50 respectively.

In the aftermath of the killings, assured by Museveni of protection, Gen. Elwelu publicly said that he did not regret anything, referring to some of the people who had died in the exchange, particularly the Rwenzururu royal guards, as “terrorists.”  He added that he was not bothered by threats of being indicted by the ICC.

The following month Museveni sacked his then army chief, Gen. Katumba for having disassociated himself from the killings.  He also hid his son, Gen. Muhoozi by claiming to have relieved him of the SFC command position.  He went ahead to reward Brig. Elwelu with a promotion to the rank of Maj. Gen. and appointing him the Commander of the Land Forces.

In a May 2017 interview with Al-jazeera Television, Museveni publicly justified Gen. Elwelu's actions thus;

AL-JAZEERA:  The man who led the assault on Kasese said, his name is Peter Elwelu ; he was a brigadier in  the army at the time and instead of him being now in the court, he was promoted to General and he is now the commander of the Land Forces. If you have those people in the court, why don't you also have those people who opened fire on your citizens alongside those people in thecourts now to answer to the questions?

MUSEVENI:  That means he was doing his duty...

AL-JAZEERA:  To kill more than 100 people...

MUSEVENI:  To deal with...

AL-JAZEERA:  And now he was promoted

MUSEVENI:  Yes, I am the one who promoted him......

Some individuals attempted to take the matter to the ICC but nothing has yielded results.  There have been behind the curtains negotiations to free the Bakonjo King but for fear of ICC, Museveni is buying time by  detaining the surviving victims without trial.  It is now coming to two years and business is back to normal.
The world is unfair and whoever does not speak up for the Kasese Genocide is an enemy of humanity.

Therefore, who is worse; LRA's Joseph Kong and his Brig. Dominic Ongwen or Museveni and his Brig. Elwelu!!!!!

INFORMATION IS POWER AND THE PRIBLEM OF UGANDA IS NUSEVENISM
change of guards







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.